As a continuation of the questions I asked the Team of 11, I decided that it shouldn’t all be serious so you’ll find below the fun or not-so-serious questions. If you’ve never been to the Asylum, you definitely should join. It’s free and ad-free. 🙂
The Fun Questions
1. Favourite smokes?
- My favorite cigars tend to be Partagas (especially 898s), Bolivar, Por Larranaga and Upmann. I also enjoy custom rolls.
- The cigars I’m smoking with the other 10.
- Whatever cigar I am smoking.
- My absolute favorite regular production cigar is the Montecristo Especial. Always a consistent winner for me. I also have a fondness for Cohiba Lancero’s, Davidoff Chateau LaTours and Vegas Robaina Don Alejandro’s
- Partagas is always a safe bet but I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s my overall favorite..
- Usually smaller marcas, since I usually get bored with larger format cigars. Favorites will also be aged or vintage, and normally always from Cuba.
- I smoke a lot of Partagas and Saint Luis Rey, typically in the smaller ring gauges. A Partagas or a Saint Luis Rey lonsdale with a few years of age on it will always bring a smile to my face.
- One given by a freind and enjoyed with them. Sharing cigars either giving or recieving always makes them taste better.
2. Not so favourite smokes?
- Smokes that are peppery or overpowering without other flavors.
- The over hyped and over marketed cigars. A good cigar should be able to stand on its own.
- Ones I don’t like
- Any “flavored” cigar or novelty cigar.
- Cigars with no spiciness or complexity. All the standards that you’ll see being the brunt of many jokes around here.
- Over marketed cigars. Cigars that rely on a fancy presentation or band to sell.
- Anything boring and one-dimensional.
- Tamboril and Cremosa come to mind.
3. Who’s the oldest and who’s the youngest mentally?
- Age is relative. And we’re all young at heart. Dustin is the shortest.
- The great thing about the Team of 11 is that we each bring a different personality and perspective to the table. We all have our areas of expertise and experience and from this we draw on that knowledge in numerous different situations. That being said, I am the youngest and sometimes it shows
- I think we all fall into both really. I mean, were all matured adults, but I think we all have fun on and off the boards. If you have to attended one of our annual herfs, you would understand.
- That depends on the time of day and the issue at hand.
- We all channel our inner child and inner anal grampa at times. The collective experience and wisdom is our balance which avoids most problems you can encounter as unpaid community janitors.
4. Favourite celebrity cigar smoker(s)?
- Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- I don’t have a favorite celebrity. Whether or not a famous person smokes cigars or not doesn’t really matter to me.
- My 10 partners
- Kelly (Poker). He’s a celebrity in my eyes
- My 10 partners. Friends mean a lot more than fame to me.
- I can think of 10
- Can’t really say that I have any. But I’m pretty sure we can all agree that if Jessica Alba were to start smoking cigars, she’d be the collective favorite.
5. How many cigars in a day/week/month? Is there ever a time when it’s been too much or too little?
- Average about one a day….now that I smoke in my house, it’s never too little.
- Approximately 4-6 per week. A few of us herf weekly and I look forward to that a lot. I wish we could meet 2-3 days a week but that is impractical. Too much? Well, at some of the bigger herfs, after 3 or 4 consecutive days of lots of cigars, I look forward to the break.
- Five a day-no
- My cigar consumption varies according to work schedule and other social factors but lately I’m in the 2-3 a week category. It used to be much more but alas, life happens.
- I’ve only ever experienced too many cigars once. A HERF in Vegas where so many cigars were consumed that my palatte was literally fried. I couldn’t even begin to tell you how many cigars were smoked during those few days.
- Recently, probably 1 every 2-3 weeks. It’s definitely too little, but I just haven’t had time recently.
- I have tapered my cigar smoking down quite a bit over the years. There are times where I may only smoke 1 cigar a month and other times it could be 3 a week. It all depends where I’m at, who I’m with, and whats going on.
- Right now, I’m averaging somewhere around 10-12 cigars a week. One a day most days, two-to-four on good days. After 15 or so cigars in a day, I do think they all tend to taste alike–thankfully, I like that taste.
- Varies amongst us. Average is around 1 per day. At herf times ….. 20 is not unusual and after a few days you start feeling a little “toxic”. When the dog doesn’t want “kisses” is usually a good sign that ashtray breath status has been achieved. A bigger problem for the younger single guys though.
6. Best movie to watch while having a cigar.
- I haven’t a clue. If I’m watching a movie, most likely I am indoors and that is a treat in and of itself.
- I don’t do media
- A Clockwork Orange. Nothing gets you ready for the old “Ultra-Violence” like a Partagas.
- Oceans Eleven
- Fabulous Story Of The Cuban Cigar (1999)
- The Godfather (I or II).
I’ll be doing more interviews with various online forums so if you have those burning questions pop me a note. I’m also off to Halifax soon and will probably check out their cigar store in the downtown area. 🙂